My kid had a People Magazine subscription foisted on her at Books-a-Million even though she is a minor who is clueless about scams like that. A company called Synapse Group Inc handles BaM subscriptions, and I spent a torturous 15 minutes canceling it using their automated system.

My kid continued to get issues and we later discovered she had been charged about $80 for "continuing" the subscription a few days after I canceled it. I spent an equally torturous 15 minutes on the phone with Synapse Inc's live customer service department, arguing with somebody I could barely understand who offered a $24 refund. After some time back and forth they agreed to a full refund, but I somehow doubt my daughter will ever see it.

I have been offered magazine subscriptions from Books a Million numerous times myself (I have always refused), and at no point have I ever been told how difficult it is to cancel and that the company handling their subscriptions is unscrupulous. No doubt BaM operates on commission do not fall for this scam.

Product or Service Mentioned: Books A Million Subscription.

Reason of review: Return, Exchange or Cancellation Policy.

Comments

BAM was a company I trusted. Yep, me, too.

And I'm a cautious person. Same thing. In a hurry at Christmas. Believed the cashier who told me same thing.

Free. Free. Free. Wasn't so.

Just spent 30 min trying to cancel with someone who obviously was not born in this country. I'm not racial, just needed a correct-English speaker. And the automated set-up is so short, it is impossible to enter all numbers in short amount of time, so you can't cancel if you can't get the numbers entered. I'm sure it's set up that way so people will get frustrated.

So, for those of you who are quick to judge us, must be hard sitting on your pedestal, looking down while everyone else in world makes a mistake. Get off the minor's back. People can have credit card experience without having fraud experience. I have both and still got picked because I trusted BAM.

Her mom was a nice lady who shared her experience trying to help others. For you holy rollers, if you didn't need help, why are you here? Maybe go stalk somewhere and someone else. For those of you who still need help, try this website: magcustomerservice.com.

It's the service that is supposed to cancel all this mess. I cancelled both ways. By phone & by this website. Hopefully, I'll be reimbursed.

If not, then I will call my credit card company. Be blessed.

If your kid is that clueless about things they shouldn't have a credit card...

@Anonymous

adults get scammed every day and businesses shouldnt prey on minors.

@Anonymous

BAM doesn't 'prey' on minors. The cashier must have mistaken the minor as an adult and asked about the Risk-Free Trial.

I know for a fact that they are not allowed to offer it to minors.

mistakes happen, it was both parties fault. At least the minor learned a lesson about asking more about the offer and reading before she signed the paper that got printed out.