California, Maryland

Update by user Jul 28

We arrived at a local BAM store in Fredericksburg, VA one afternoon simply because we were waiting to go across the way to see a movie. So, we stopped in to look at some books while waiting.

I had never shopped at a BAM before and my son found a few things he really liked and I found a book I had wanted for a while. When we went to purchase them, I was TOLD, not asked, that I would be getting 3 free magazines to "try out". I said, "NO, I do not want any magazines." She asked, "Why not, they are free and ..." I cut her off, "NO NOTHING is free, I don't want to have to cancel something later and DO NOT want my method of payment shared with any other company." She sort of fumbled around and implied that I HAD to take the "free" trials as part of the checkout process. "Outta my control", she says.

As we were trying to get to our movie on time at this point, I was getting annoyed. I said again, "I really don't want any magazines and I DO NOT want to have to cancel anything later. I have a busy schedule and i cannot have this stuff being charged to me months from now. I DO NOT WANT THEM.

This is ridiculous, why can't I just check out?" Finally, she prodded at the buttons and prompted the register somehow and checked us out. SHE NEVER SAID SHE WAS SIGNIG US UP FOR 3 RANDOM TERRIBLE TITLED MAGAZINES ANYWAYS. I paid for the items and left, but I had a nagging suspicion she had done just that. Lo and behold, not a week later, I receive a magazine I NEVER SIGNED UP FOR.

Anyone that knows me would know I would never have even looked at that title and I HATE the waste that print magazines create. I call the number hidden on a label....of course they have NO IDEA how to cancel anything because they say, it was a "third party" who began the subscription. I call CRAPOLA. Then HOW would they know what address to send to and where to bill later on; but they won't do anything.

I hang up. Pissed beyond measure, I call BAM and get transferred to their Magazine Services Line. IT'S THE SAME FREAKIN' HOLD MUSIC AND TELE-LOBBY SOUNDS AS THE LAST IDIOT I JUST SPOKE WITH, just a different name. NOW they tell me that there's no record of an account under my name or address, BUT I AM STILL GETTING MAGAZINES I DO NOT WANT AND NEVER ORDERED.

I can't cancel because they can't “find” the account, but I'm sure I'll be seeing a charge for these things any day now. I am livid I have to deal with this ridiculous SCAM. BAM needs to STOP making cashiers implement this policy. I will NEVER shop there again.

Neither will my kid or my husband. I am telling my entire family about this as well as anyone I run across who'll listen. It's a disgusting, annoying time-wasting, money-grubbing SCAM. BOYCOTT BAM.

UPDATE: It’s been around 3 months since this all started and I am STILL GETTING MAGAZINES I NEVER WANTED. I have called and called the number for their magazine services and they keep saying I don’t have an account. I haven’t seen a charge yet.

I am checking and will update further if they decide to charge us. Meanwhile, our rocket stove is getting a lot of fuel.

Original review posted by user Jun 28

We arrived at a local BAM store simply because we were waiting to go inside to see a movie nearby, so we stopped in to look at some books while waiting. I had never shopped at a BAM before and my son found a few things he really liked and I fund a book I had wanted for a while.

When we went to purchase them, I was TOLD not asked that I would be getting 3 free magazines to "try out". I said, "NO, I do not want any magazines." She asked, "Why not, they are free and ..." I cut her off, "NO NOTHING is free, I don't want to have to cancel something later and DO NOT want my method of payment shared with any other company." She sort of fumbled around and implied that I HAD to take the "free" trials as part of the checkout process, "Outta my control", she says. As we were trying to get to our movie on time at this point, I was getting annoyed. I said again, "I really don't want any magazines and I DO NOT want to have to cancel anything later.

I have a busy schedule and i cannot have this stuff being charged to me months from now. I DO NOT WANT THEM. This is ridiculous, why can't I just check out?" Finally, she prodded at the buttons and prompted the register somehow and checked us out. SHE NEVER SAID SHE WAS SIGNIG US UP FOR # RANDOM TERRIBLE TITLED MAGAZINES ANYWAYS.

I pad for the items and left, but I had a nagging suspicion she had done just that.

Lo and behold, not a week later, I receive a magazine i NEVER SIGNED UP FOR. Anyone that knows me would know I would never have even looked at that title and I HATE the waste magazine create. I call the number hidden on a label...of course they have NO IDEA how to cancel anything b/c it was a "third party" who began the subscription. I call *** b/c then HOW would they know what CC to charge; but they won't do anything.

Pissed beyond measure, I call BAM and get transferred to their Magazine Services Line. IT'S THE SAME FREAKIN' HOLD MUSIC AND TELE-LOBBY SOUNDS, just a different name. NOW they tell me there's no record of an account under my name or address, BUT I AM STILL GETTING MAGAZINES I DO NOT WANT AND NEVER ORDERED. I can't cancel because they can't find the account, but I'm sure I'll be seeing a charge for these things any day now.

I am livid I have to deal with this ridiculous SCAM. BAM needs to STOP making cashiers implement this policy. I will NEVER shop there again. Neither will my kid or my husband.

It's a disgusting, annoying time-wasting, money-grubbing SCAM. BOYCOTT BAM.

Reason of review: Not as described/ advertised.

Preferred solution: Full cancellation of any subscriptions and NO charges on my bank card.

Books A Million Cons: Sketchy business practices.

• Scam